Comments and Complaints




Making a complaint

The Doctors and staff at this practice are committed to providing high quality healthcare and services to patients. If you have a complaint or concern about the service you have received from the practice, please let us know.


  • We want you to let us know if you are unhappy or have a suggestion about how we can do things better.
  • All complaints are treated in the strictest confidence.
  • Making a complaint will not affect your treatment or care.

We operate a complaints procedure as part of the NHS system for dealing with complaints, which meets national criteria.


How to complain

Most problems can be sorted out quickly and easily, often at the time they arise with the person concerned and this may be the approach you try first. You may wish to speak to the Practice Manager and can ask to speak to her by telephone or for an appointment with her to discuss your concerns.

If your problem cannot be sorted out in this way and you wish to make a formal complaint, we would like you to let us know as soon as possible –preferably in writing and ideally within a matter of days because this will enable us to establish what happened more easily.

In any event, you should make your complaint:

  • Within 12 months of the incident that caused the problem or;
  • Within 12 months of discovering that you have a problem, giving as much detail as you can.

Complaints should be made to:

The Complaints Manager, Sam Hodge
The Nunhead Surgery
58 Nunhead Grove
SE15 3LY


What we will do

We will contact you about your complaint within three working days and discuss with you the best way to investigate it, including the time scales for a reply. We will then aim to offer you an explanation within the time frame agreed, or a meeting with the people involved.

We will look into your complaint to:

  • Find out what happened and what went wrong
  • Invite you to discuss the problem with those involved, if you would like this
  • Apologise where this is appropriate
  • Identify what we can do to make sure that the problem does not happen again.

Complaining on behalf of someone else

Medical records are protected by the Data Protection Act 1998. If you are complaining on behalf of someone else we need to know that you have their permission to do so. A note signed by the person concerned will be needed unless they are incapable of providing this.


Complaining to the NHS South East London

Patients who have a comment or complaint about the practice, which cannot be resolved locally with the practice manager, can contact NHS England using the details below.

NHS England
B97 9PT

If you are dissatisfied with the outcome you have the right to approach the Parliamentary and Health Ombudsman. The contact details are:

The Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman

London SW1P 4QP

If you have a comment or complaint about another hospital, mental health or community trust, you should contact the organisation concerned directly. Ask at reception and we will try to help you find the correct contact details.

Other useful contact details:


NHS Complaints Advocacy Service

If you feel that you need support to raise your concern or complaint with us, you can contact POhWER’s NHS Complaints Advocacy Service. They can provide independent, free and confidential information and support to people wishing to make a complaint about the NHS.

Contact details: